Friday, October 5, 2012

Reddit Sci-Fi Challenge : 300 words

I'm awoken by blaring alarms. In my sleep-deprived mind, I think it's the usual wake up call and I slap at my nightstand's chronometer. By the time I slam my fist down on the snooze button for the fifth time, my mind catches up with my body and I start putting two and two together.

First, the alarm is louder - the ships alarms. And secondly, I can hear running outside my door. People are panicking, which doesn’t make sense. People in my ship don’t panic. They are scientists and soldiers, the best of the best of the best. Myself? I am a janitor. I am allowed to panic and scream at spiders and shadows.

I hear someone slamming their hands against my door as I climb out of bed. They beg for me to open the door. The voice sounds familiar but I can’t place it. I am unfamiliar to the desperation in it.

If I were a soldier, one of the best of the best of the best, I would’ve raced to the door and fought off anything that was harming the voice. If I were a scientist, one of the best of the best of the best, I would’ve thought of a way to help. But like I said, I am just a janitor. I just stand by my bed wearing only my underwear, frozen, as the person's voice grows in desperation until it is suddenly silenced by a blow that domes my door inward.

I don’t know how long I stand in silence as the sound of carnage consumes the outside world.
The lights flicker overhead. And I know, as a janitor, even if I’m not the best of the best, that my lights shouldn’t be flickering – hell, no lights should be flickering. Then the room goes black.

When the emergency lighting doesn’t come back on, I know I’m fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment after the beep.