Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ghosts are Newbs

If I can blame anything for my current predicament, it would be World of Warcraft.

If I hadn't started playing that game those many years ago, I wouldn't have known about the 'uber' equipment. If I hadn't known about the uber equipment, I wouldn't have decided to run raids every Friday with my guild. And if I hadn't decided to run raids every Friday with my guild, I wouldn't have realized I was late to be getting home to raid thus I decided it was a smart idea to cut through the cemetery.

I pull my jacket tightly around my body as I try to tell myself that all that thought didn't matter - that I was fine. Yet no matter how much I hold my jacket close, I can still that chill run over my spine. It's telling me that this was a mistake. That I shouldn't have traveled this path.

I weave around headstones and bushes, pushing my way through the morbid scene. My footsteps find a way to echo through the night - something they've never done before. I keep up my pace, trying to ignore that feeling that someone was watching me.

Suddenly, the silence was broken.

"Hey! Mort! Look!"

I turn on my heels as fast as the Flash himself only to find myself staring at a set of cliche ghosts. And that's probably the best I can do to really describe them. Sheets, eye holes, and floating. That's all. They hover there for a few seconds, whispering to each other as I try not to piss myself.

"Oh, man. He has a really nice liver!" one finally spoke loud for me to hear. The other one loomed in closer, those hollow eyes voids.

"Oh, man! I needed a liver! Need before greed, dude?" the other spoke before shoving his hand into my side.

There was no blood, no wound, but there was plenty of pain. It felt like claws were digging into my liver, squeezing and twisting. I feel something snap inside and a burning sensation begin to dribble behind my skin. I fall to the ground, my mouth twisted in pain as I give out a hollow scream.

"Dude, I need the liver to make my epic body!"

"No way, dude! This is the last piece before I get enough to get my epic body suit!"

"Come on! I let you have the last drop!"

I'm crawling away now, my vision blurring and my body shaking. Something was leaking inside me and I could feel it killing me slowly. But I crawled with all my might, trying to get to the nearby gate.

"Come on, man! Look at the stats on this thing, it's not even that good-"

"I'm not a min-maxer, dude!"

I was nearing the iron-clad gate. My hand reached out for it, my finger tips already numb. I could feel the gate open slowly as I pushed it open, my mind knowing that if I were to leave here, I'd be safe again. I pulled my body towards my freedom -

Only to suddenly find another ghost right in front of me.

"Lawl, newbs!" It spoke before it dove right into me. I could feel its icy grip travel throughout my entire body, pulling and twisting organs free from their position. The pain is beyond words. I cough up blood, my body starting to shut down.

The last thing I hear before everything goes black is "Kill stealer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment after the beep.